Thursday, October 15, 2009

When Job Hunting, Should You Try to Stand Out or Fit In?

When I was applying as a Marketing Manager for a Healthcare Company a few years back, I remember sitting in the lobby waiting with my fellow applicants for my second interview, this time to be conducted by the President of the Company.

The president was late for about two hours, so I used up the time to engage in a brief and friendly chat with my fellow job candidates to get a feel of “the competition”. There were two other candidates waiting with me.

The first one was definitely a standout. She was tall, slim, light-skinned and the creative type---I say this because, well, she had a goth look. With her deep-dark black hair, stunning Adam Lambert-looking eyes, slick getup and shiny black nails, you cannot help but look. I said to myself, “Hmmm, she’s interesting. That’s nice,” and then turned to the next girl, because frankly, I got spooked out and I couldn’t tell if she was friendly deep inside while she was fuming over the president being late.

The second girl seemed friendlier. She had a homey, almost motherly image with her floral printed blouse underneath a simple but somewhat ill-fitted blazer. You can immediately tell that she came from humble beginnings, a hardworking person who is working her way up. I found out that she used to be a Marketing Manager for a nationwide food outlet. After resigning from her job and taking time off to take care of her ailing mother, she was now back in the job market to be able to earn money and pay for her mother’s medical bills. Pretty admirable, don’t you think?

And then, there was me. Donning a black shirt, topped with a French-cut blazer, a ready smile, and my resume-portfolio in hand, I was finally called to go in first to get interviewed by the President.

THE INTERVIEW

The President was a tall and charming British expat. He explained to me what the job entailed and asked me a few questions about my previous work and background. I asked a few intelligent questions about the company---questions that I formulated in my head while researching and browsing the company’s website the night before the interview. This seemed to have impressed him. At the conclusion of the interview, he told me that he just needed to interview the other candidates and that I should get a call within the week. I smiled and thanked him for the interview and enjoyed the rest of the day.

Four hours later, my mobile phone rings. It’s the HR Manager of the Healthcare Company, and I got the job.

This leads me to ask an important question in this column,
When Job Hunting, Should You Try to Stand Out or Fit In?

Let me share my insights and thoughts about this matter...

IMAGE COUNTS. As you can see from the story above, image and first impressions count. When job hunting, it’s not enough to just stand out from the rest of the bunch. Striking though the goth look may be, it is obviously not appropriate for a healthcare company. Now, some people might say, “I have the right to express my individuality.” That’s true. But common sense and basic marketing principles will also tell you that you’ve got to present yourself in a manner that your target market, in this case the healthcare company, will want. Save time by taking the time to prepare an appropriate look for the interview.

PROFESSIONAL IMAGE. In the case of the homey candidate, her floral blouse and ill-fitted coat was not exactly appealing. It lacked the edge. The healthcare company had a progressive image and culture. A couple of good corporate wardrobe pieces would have been worth the investment. For women, go for suits that have a clean tailored look that show your shape. Personally, I prefer light or bright coloured blazers because everyone else wears dull-black or dark grey ones. You can also wear some rich-looking accessories to add some style to your outfit. Colour and Accessories are two subtle ways to make you stand out, without being show-stopping outrageous.

LOSE THE BAGGAGE. Although my heart goes out to the girl who’s taking care of her ailing mother, the truth of the matter is: companies prefer to hire people who do not have a lot of baggage. Why? Because employers want you to be able to focus on your job and not just on making ends meet. When interviewing for a job, spare the sob stories. Don’t focus too much on your own needs and problems. Show the company why hiring you is in their best interest and why you are the perfect fit for the job.

STAND OUT WHERE IT COUNTS. Your outer appearance is just one part of the equation. The ability to communicate real substance, knowledge and experience is what will truly make you stand out in your interview and be recognized in your job. One easy way to do so, is to first research about the company that you are interviewing for, by checking their website. Ask intelligent questions that show your interest in the company. A lot of employers considered it a compliment if you ask intelligent questions about the company or have taken the time to research about it. Don’t just ask about the job that you might get, the office dress code or work schedule. Instead, ask about the company and show how you can help it succeed. That should really make you really stand out, yet fit in at the same time.

GETTING THE RIGHT FIT

For me, working for that Healthcare Company was one of the best jobs I’ve ever had. I have very fond memories of the place and the people I worked with. The experience was rewarding for me, because it was a good fit. With the insights and tips I shared with you, I sincerely hope that you get a job that truly fits you, that you can stand out in and be happy with.


Jhoanna O. Gan-So is president of Businessmaker Academy---a business, finance and corporate training center that offers short course seminars on business and entrepreneurship, sales and marketing, human resource management and corporate skills training. She is also the managing director for HR Club Philippines. To know more about these organizations and the seminars they offer, you may visit www.businessmaker-academy.com and www.hrclubphilippines.com or call (632)6874645. You may email your comments and questions to: worklife@businessmaker-academy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment