Saturday, October 31, 2009

Your First Day on the Job

Congratulations! You’ve got the job. After months of sending out resumes, taking tests and countless interviews, you’ve finally landed a job that you hope you’ll like and do well in.

You are excited and a little bit nervous to see what the journey ahead brings. “Will I like my job?”, “Will I like my co-workers?” What will my boss be like and will my co-workers like me?” you ask.

LIKING YOUR JOB has a lot to do with how well you play the working game. You just don’t enter a race unprepared. You’ve got to put as much effort getting ready for your first day and beyond, compared to the prep work that you did during your job hunting days.

To help you get started on the right track, here’s a look at what usually takes place during this day. I am sharing simple tips and a trade secret that I successfully use to make a good first impression at work. So do read this article through and get nuggets of work-life wisdom.


FIRST DAY EVE

My mother taught me an important habit that helps lessen stress levels before a big day or event. To reduce early morning jitters, prepare your outfit and work bag the night before. This way, you would not have to scramble trying to find your socks or stockings at a time when you should be mentally preparing yourself to take on the challenges that the day may bring. This is a simple enough advice, but not a lot of people do it.

PAPERWORK

When packing your work bag, be sure to put the necessary documents that your employer asked you to bring. HR officers usually hand out a Employment Requirement List before your work commences which may include SSS, Philhealth, Pag-IBIG, TIN identification, ID photos, Medical Clearance or NBI Clearance that you need to submit, if you have not done so. When you get to the office, there will also be some paperwork and contracts that you will need to sign with the HR department.

NEW EMPLOYEE ORIENTATION

Most companies have an induction program for new employees. They usually give a Welcome kit or show Company Orientation Videos. Other companies, like mine, have already joined the progressive wave of interactive New Employee Orientation Webinars where you get oriented about the company through a multimedia presentation and take quizzes online immediately. Whatever the method, orientation programs are meant to prepare and help you get started on the right track with your company. So pay close attention to it.

YOUR NEW DESK & OFFICE SUPPLIES

If your work is office-based, you will most likely be given a desk and a set of office supplies. In case you are not given a set, politely ask your HR or co-workers where you can get some. It may be a good idea to label and put your name on these office supplies because many co-workers, myself included, unintentionally and unconsciously become cleptomaniacs when it comes to cheap pens.

YOUR BOSS

Now it’s time to meet your boss. A good boss will make sure to meet with you and discuss the goals and expectations of your job. Be sure to bring a notebook and pen to jot all of this down. Don’t leave everything to memory, unless you can honestly say that you have the photographic and auditory gift of recollection. See, this simple act will show your boss that you are responsible and reliable. It is a very basic habit that not a lot of people do. As a boss myself, I find it tiresome to call a staff for a brief meeting, only to order him to go back and get his notebook. No notebook, no brownie points.

MEETING YOUR CO-WORKERS

One of the most enjoyable aspects of working is meeting your co-workers---that is, if they are the friendly bunch. Most Filipinos are very friendly and welcoming. So all you have to do is be friendly back. In the Corporate world, however, there are egos that you need to take care not to step on. So just be polite and tactful. It’s your first day, there’s no need to rock the boat. Blend in, be pleasant and friendly----simply SMILE.

LUNCHING

Ahhh---the most important question of all: “Who do you have lunch with and where?”. It all depends on the company you work for. If your company provides free meals in its own cafeteria, lucky you. All you have to do now is ask your co-workers if you can join them. If your co-workers bring their lunchboxes, you can bring your own too or buy from the nearest food joint and eat with them. Some HR departments assign people to welcome new employees and have lunch them.

MY TRADE SECRET

And now, let me share a secret that my husband, a master in corporate politics in his younger years, taught me: During the first week in the job, go around and try to meet people from all departments. This will allow you to build rapport with key departments before you need to closely work with them. This is how I applied this principle---When I was a new Marketing Manager for a Healthcare company, I made it a point to casually introduce myself to the managers of other departments one by one. I informed them that I’d like my department to be productive and helpful. I sincerely sought their advice on how I can do this. This refreshing and brave approach gained me many allies and friends, so much so that the toughest manager in the company told me on that initial meeting, “I like you”.

LIKING YOUR JOB depends very much on what you do with it. You have the opportunity and ability to make your work-life enjoyable. But you need to put an effort in laying the groundwork for a happy stay. Again, my congratulations! I hope you get to like your job.

Jhoanna O. Gan-So is president of Businessmaker Academy---a training company that offers short course seminars on business and entrepreneurship, sales and marketing, human resource management and corporate skills training, as well as develops interactive webinars for corporations and institutions. She is also the managing director for HR Club Philippines. To know more about these organizations and the seminars they offer, you may visit www.businessmaker-academy.com and www.hrclubphilippines.com or call (632)6874645. You may email your comments and questions to: mbworklife@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment