Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Selling Yourself To Get The Job That You Want

Here are tips for job hunters using basic Marketing concepts. This was published in my Worklife Column at Manila Bulletin last August.

Many people are terrified of selling, but it is an important part of everyone’s life whether you are a sales practitioner, an accounting clerk, a new graduate, a homemaker or a student.

At work or in school, we “sell ideas” when we pitch our project proposals. In romantic relationships, we inadvertently “sell a promise” of future happiness. During an argument, we “sell reasons” to help the other person understand where we are coming from. In a debate, we “sell our side of the story” to persuade others to take our side. In business, we need to “sell products or services” so that we will have food on the table.

Yes, selling is very much a part of our lives and the better we are at it, the more successful our lives will be.

When it comes to job hunting, you need to be able to “sell yourself” to get hired. Landing a good job therefore depends on your ability to develop, package, promote and sell yourself to your future employer. And it doesn’t stop there. Once hired, you need to prove to your bosses that you are worth it, so that you can rise in your career and be rewarded for your work. You see, selling never stops, so instead of dreading it like many people, embrace it. Master the art of selling yourself. It is one of life’s precious skills.

So How Do You Sell Yourself to Get a Good Job?

Product Development. In job-hunting, your main product is yourself. That is why one important question that you need to ask yourself is this: “If you were the employer, would you hire yourself?” Successful salespeople will tell you that the easiest product to sell is one that is very good, needed and wanted by the customer. So work on developing skills that companies actually need and want. Invest the time, effort and money to develop your skills. It will be worth your while.

Product Packaging. It’s not enough to just be a skilled worker. No matter how skilled you are, it won’t matter much if you cannot present yourself well and communicate your worth to employers. When job-hunting, you package yourself first through your resume. This is the first thing that companies look at so be sure to prepare a good resume that shows your skills and experience. Be sure to practice proper business etiquette in your emails and in person. When you go for interviews, groom yourself well. Hiring officers are people, and like most people, they react to what they see.

Product Pricing. At one point in the recruitment process, you will be asked this question: “What is your expected salary”. For many people, this is a tough one to answer. Give a high price, companies may not be able to afford you. Give a low price, you might get short-changed. So how do you answer this inevitable question? Well, the best way is to prepare your answer and find out how much you are worth.

You can calculate your expected salary by basing it on:
a. Your previous salary (as much as possible, you want to be able to get a salary that is at par or higher that your previous salary)
b. Your cost of living (calculate your expenses and add an extra amount on top of it to ensure that you can have savings)
c. Industry standards (there are salary reports available online or you can compare notes with friends---this is called benchmarking)
d. The Company (Just as you would look into a customer’s ability to pay, when job hunting, take into consideration the size and industry of the company you are applying for)

Whenever I interview applicants, I find that many of them cringe at this question. It’s understandable because it’s a bit awkward to put a price tag on oneself. So my advice is to give a price range and explain to the recruitment officer how you arrived at that amount. If you are not very particular about the salary amount, you can also throw back the question to the recruitment officer and ask what they are willing to offer for that position based on the company’s salary structure.

Qualifying Employers. In sales, you just don’t sell to every living thing that crosses your path. There are specific customers who match your product, just as there are companies and jobs that will be a good match for you. So target companies that are suitable for you. Years back when I was a job-seeker, I had a clear set of criteria for my ideal job. I used it as a guide and only applied to companies who fit the criteria.

Let me share with you my list:
a. Location (this was my number 1 criteria---I didn’t want to spend 2 hours on the road, so I picked companies who were located near my home)
b. Department (I knew what I am good at and what I am most interested in, so I wanted to have a job and be with a department where I can really contribute in---in my case, it was marketing.)
c. Company Size and Stability (I wanted to be in a medium sized company, not too big that I may disappear, not too old that it’s full of red tape)
d. Company Culture (I wanted to work for a happy company, so I observed how the Recruitment officer, the Boss and even the guard who greeted me during my interview behaved)
e. Salary & Benefits (I wanted to be compensated sufficiently)

Having a set standard helps you save time and effort. If you know what you want and expect from an employer, it is so much easier to find the right one.

Sales Approach. I don’t like it when salespeople hard-sell to me. So I don’t do it myself, especially in job-hunting. Whenever I sell or try to persuade others, I usually don’t become too pushy. Instead, I inform, advise and give suggestions. It’s more relaxed this way and I find that having a suave and graceful approach is something that many customers or recruitment officers like.

So master the art of selling yourself to get the job that you want. Good luck and happy selling!

About the Writer
Jhoanna O. Gan-So is president of Businessmaker Academy and the managing director for HR Club Philippines. Her company conducts seminars on Business, Finance, Human Resource Management, Corporate Skills Development and Company Teambuildings. To know more about the seminars that they offer, you may visit www.businessmaker-academy.com or call (632)6874645. You may visit www.hrclubphilippines for more Work-life articles. Email your comments and questions to: mbworklife@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment